Chapter 25
Tuesday, July 24, 2007
  on fasting, and Roy Orbison
I would like to address two subjects tonight. The first is a heavy, complex subject that I know little about but am so amazed to be finding out more about. The other is just pure genius. Well, come to think of it both are pure genius. And gifts from God.

To a certain degree there are things that should be kept private between a man and God. This fact I completely agree with and respect. However please allow me to share a little into my life over the past few hours. For the past week the challenge was presented to the group going to Haiti that today, on the day of our last Haiti team meeting before our departure on Saturday AM, we would fast of something. Food, television, sweets, coffee, NPR. Whatever it seemed that we felt needed to be taken away from us as a daily distraction. Among the things "I chose" to fast was food, and so from 6:00 Monday evening until 6:00 tonight I went without food. It was tough, it totally brought me closer to God as my reliance on food was directed towards putting my energy into a more powerful reliance. And while it seemed like food was everywhere around me today, I made it.

Until 3pm, when I broke the fast and scarfed down a granola bar while sitting at my desk. It didn't come immediately, but it came and soon not only did I feel some deeper pains of giving in, but I soon noticed that also I was full. But it all just felt so artificial. The doubt, the fullness. All of it was unimportant. Yes, even the frustration and doubt. All as unimportant as the fact that God was with me and over me, through the fast and through the stumble. Period.

You know, not only was it that food was around me every day, but food was grossly around me every day. Disgustingly. We forget how gross we are with our consumption practices. From Dunkin' Donuts to greasy breakfast sausages and deep-fried everythings.

More to say, much more to say about that; but not here.

Now onto Topic 2: Roy Orbison. I've been listening to some Roy Orbison lately, it started on Saturday when I got a song randomly in my head and started listening to all I had of his. It blew me away all over again. Roy had the best pop music voice EVER. Nothing beats it, even today. Listen to Crying again and try and argue with me. Try it. Go ahead. I'll save you some time though: you lose! It's organic in how something new about his voice can strike you and move you in ways his music did failed to do the first time around.

Dude, come on. I'm right and you know it.

ok.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
this is the story of a guy in transition, and how he begins to remember.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Providence, Rhode Island, United States

"A Texan outside of Texas is a foreigner." --John Steinbeck

ARCHIVES
April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 /
LINKS