Chapter 25
Friday, July 27, 2007
  Island.
I just noticed that if it's not a full moon tonight, it's pretty close. That I'm taking as a good thing. Because full moons are cool.

I wrote the rest of this hours earlier, but the internet went down. Then Nate came over and my entire family called me to talk, nearly one after another, which was very cool.

------------------

it's exciting to think that in 24 hours I will be back in the Caribbean. I haven't been down since back in 2005, and while last time it was a summer on the wealthiest island this trip will be quite the opposite. Not as many creature comforts, as they say. I'm excited to experience the diversity of life (I'm always excited to experience that, even in Providence. Or Texas. Or wherever I find myself).

Pray for this mission, as it is very good. God has a reason for this connection between the people in Rhode Island and the village of Lamotte in Haiti. Haiti is a scary space from a spiritual perspective. With vodoo such an important part of it's past, even if it is not as rampant spiritually as it once was, it is so steeped in the culture that the combination of the name of Christ and voodoo is very common. From what I hear it is a very dark place, with a great promise of light. We could only be so blessed. God loves Haiti. I know this for a fact going in.

This wouldn't be happening it it were otherwise.

What a different person I am now, too, from 2005. I can say now that if I would have gone to Haiti back then with the Peace Corps as was expected it would have been...well it didn't happen then and it didn't happen for a reason. The timing is right now. Who could have ever imagined?

Eight of us going, a very diverse group, and we're meeting Marie and some of her children down there.

That's all for now. We'll be back in about a week.

 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
this is the story of a guy in transition, and how he begins to remember.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Providence, Rhode Island, United States

"A Texan outside of Texas is a foreigner." --John Steinbeck

ARCHIVES
April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 /
LINKS